Skip to main content

What I read -- February 2019


LHC #27: A Brief History of Seven Killings” by Marlon James. It was the next thing on the library list. The library website did a neat thing when I walked in and pulled this off the shelf: it recognized that this was on my holds list and deleted it. The title is kind of a lie because this book is 688 pages long, and a lot of it is in some kind of Jamaican vernacular, making it kind of slow reading. Not sure why I requested this. Probably someone described it as a master-class in voice or some such thing. And that it was! I didn’t really connect with any character, alas. Maybe not all books are written just for me? WHAT?!?

I read another book by MJ before and it was quite good. This was good too, but… long.  I actually started it last month but then finished two other things first, and without all the pressure to finish, this was much more enjoyable. While I was reading this his next  book came out, so there was an interview with MJ that mentioned a Reddit thread that said one doesn’t need to worry so much about understanding the plot, and compared it to “Infinite Jest” which I’ve read and “Gravity’s Rainbow” which I have not. This certainly was easier than Infinite Jest. I had to renew it at the library, but then the last 250 pages just whipped along. 

LHC #28: “A Perfect Machine” by Brett Savory. I meant to leave this at the bottom of my list (72 books long, don’t judge) but I forgot to set the hold to inactive, so here we are. It was on a list of Asian-inspired horror, and I’ve met the author, so that’s why I added it. I must say, it’s nice to occasionally read a book while I still remember what made me choose it.

Somehow at some point someone convinced me that I wasn’t allowed to end stories with everyone dying or the world ending or anything like that. In retrospect this was a cruel thing to do. 

LHC #29: “Madame Bovary” by Gustave Flaubert. I need to read more classics? The introduction about translating was really interesting. I desperately want to know a language well enough to translate out of it. I empathized with Emma a lot, not sure if that’s a bad thing. 

LHC #30: “The Empathy Exams” by Leslie Jamison.  I read this one at the same time as the previous because one of the blurbs at the front said I should read these essays one at a time rather than in a single sitting. So it was very amusing when I got to the one that was about Madame Bovary. “Fog Check” was my favorite.Her themes seemed a little repetitive at times, even reading these spaced out.

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...