Thursday, July 03, 2014

In Process -- June 2014



First Draft
“Limering”. Around 67,000 words. I discovered about a week ago what happened during the big mystery at the heart of the story, so I’ll be able to end it eventually.

Editing
“Wind/Water/Salt”. I’d like to say I got fed up and just finished the second draft, but alas that didn’t happen. I think for July I will just finish the damn thing. There are about 110 pages to go, so that's reasonable. Let's just say July won't end until this draft is done! 

What happens is I go along, and I find something big that needs changing -- a character needs to be somewhere else than where I have her, and this has impacts across various chapters until things right themselves and I have a few clean sections. In order to make this stuff work, I have to gut some chapters, and then I just write these dreadful one- or two-sentence fillers. "Her hands were still in shackles. He had the tools lying around, and so he cut them off." And move along. But I have managed to cut a few thousand words out, which is good. Though I feel like a slave to the 3-POV organizing principle I started with. 

Scott Westerfield had an essay up on the NaNoWriMo website about revising, and how this is a great chance to outline (or re-outline) your novel, and that’s what I’ve been doing, so I guess I might be going about this the right way. 




Connecting
--
Circulating
--
Knitting

“Kaffeklatsch” (self-designed).  Finished the second sleeve so I could use the DPNs on a sock. I never started that sock. I am a couple of inches from done this garment. 

“Ceremonial Armour” (Kaffe Fassett, knit from a photo). So, I started the first sleeve, but then after two inches I ripped most of it out and ordered more yarn. I didn’t have the right color to finish this project. I’ve knitted back to about where I was before with the new yarn, and it looks much better now.
“St. Anthony’s Ribbon” (self-designed). I decided the reason I never work on this is that it’s not working, so I ripped out to the first row and added more stitches to the cuff. This sucked, because the sleeve was up to the elbow (8/13 done). But it was too tight and I would never have worn the wretched thing that way, so I guess it’s all for the good. Sometimes the reason I don’t work on something is that my subconscious knows it’s not going to work, and I started this in December, and it really hadn’t progressed. I’ve got 5/13 of the sleeve done again now.

I had intended to sew a skirt and a dress and start another dress (too ambitious, perhaps) but then the boy had the incident with the police, and I had to make him something to carry his arrows in instead. So, I did a leather-working project that took many, many hours, and then worked a bit on the skirt. 
 

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

What I read -- June 2014



“Homeland and other stories” by Barbara Kingsolver. Someone gave it to me when they were done with it. I was hoping for magic realism, but there was just too much realism to me. A couple of the stories were good, but most made me go Meh. The one that took place in the Petrified Forest stuck with me, and the one about the family road trip to Cherokee, Tenn. They were good stories and everything, but.

“Parasite” by Mira Grant. At first I was wondering if six years was long enough for an adult to start from nothing and be a functional adult, but then I thought, kids have it rough because they’re trying to learn all these things while they’re experiencing constant change at the same time, so sometimes being in a non-growing body with consistent (even if cyclical) hormones would be easier to learn. There were almost too many similarities between this and Newsflesh, but ultimately I didn’t care, it was a fabulous read.

“Shattered Pillars” by Elizabeth Bear. Book 2!

“The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larrson. Ed read this in two days. I took it camping and read it in two days too! The writing was tawdry, but the plot was amazing.

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

In Process -- May 2014



First Draft
“Limering”. Around 59,000 words.

Editing
“Wind/Water/Salt”. Sometimes I feel guilty that I ignore this wretched thing for days on end. Then I have an epiphany and I can work like crazy. This month’s epiphany was who the real bad guy is, so I had to go backward and seed that in a bit. So so much for this being a “don’t look back” draft. I am 2/3 through, though. Now I’m trying to work that character into the end of act II.




Connecting
--
Circulating
--
Knitting
This month I came up with a stupid new rule for myself so I would finish some things. That’s because I’ve got three projects hanging around since 2013 (two I started in December, but still). If I finish one thing and finish a stage of another, I can start a new project. Here’s how it went:
“Portree” (Martin Storey Scottish Collection). Finished. Ran out of the main color (black) so I did the neck in pink instead. It looks fine. Probably better, actually, since I don’t really look that great in all the black I wear.
 “Kaffeklatsch” (self-designed).  Finished the second ball of yarn so I could start something else. Started the second sleeve, which unfortunately used the rest of my US1 needles, meaning I couldn’t start the sock I wanted.
“Ceremonial Armour” (Kaffe Fassett, knit from a photo). Sewed and cut the steeks, then started the first sleeve. Finally, after about six months of letting it sit. 
“St. Anthony’s Ribbon” (self-designed). Still slogging away on the first sleeve.
I also finished sewing a shirt I started about two years ago. I was hung up on the buttonholes. Pathetic.