Monday, April 04, 2016

What I read -- March 2016



“Green” by Jay Lake. This was a Christmas 2014 gift, so it’s been sitting around waiting to be read for a while. I was looking for something to be mournful about and Jay Lake is dead, so I picked it up because he won’t be writing anything else (though I think there’s a sequel… or something else set in the same world). His short story roots showed, I thought, but in a good way. He didn’t drag a section out the way some books seem to. I found the writing nicely efficient. I also liked the variety of characters and relationships.
“The Essense of Budo” by Dave Lowry. Another karate essay book. It’s quite accessible, and didn’t make me feel bad about my karate at all!
“Codex” by Lev Grossman. The main character Edward is quite a bit like Eliot in The Magicians. Everything tied up really neatly at the end.
“Westmark” by Lloyd Alexander. I read the Chronicles of Prydain maybe 12 times as a child, and at least twice as an adult, so I was appalled to find out there are other LA books that I didn’t know about. I wasn’t too surprised by the resolution, but the characters were fun.

Friday, April 01, 2016

In Process -- March 2016


1st draft

“Water Leopard”. Had roughly 37,000 words at the start of the month. Now I have around 44,250…
I also worked on something about gothic houses. 

Editing



"Lucky Kate”. I think I’m doing the last pass now.
“The Cicatrix Diary”. I had a brilliant idea that made the setting and characters work way better for a short story.

Connecting

It's the thing I don't do.  Maybe next month. 

Circulating

1

Knitting

Margaret Beaufort (AS Tudor Roses 2013). Finished button bands, danglers and blocking. It came out great. I followed the pattern everywhere except I doubled the waist shaping so it doesn’t hang like a sack.

Tilted Duster (Norah Gaughan IK Fall 2007). At the start of the month I had just started the “skirt”. I finished that, and the first sleeve up to the cap.
Rust Damask Jacket (Takle & Kolstadt). The month started with maybe 5 rows of the neck done, 10 inches of the first sleeve and two of the second. I finished that first sleeve and moved onto the neckband as my “focus” project, because the backing will be mindless, and it would be good to have a mindless thing when the Tilted Duster is done, because that will progress this one without me starting something else. Unfortunately due to how it was charted I had to rip out eight rows of neckband which sucked. I started the colorwork on the second sleeve.