Skip to main content

Gaucho Pie and urban planning

I used to write little food adventures here, but for some reason that fell by the wayside.

Last night I left the YMCA thinking I should pick up some cottage cheese to mix with the Chimichurri that was leftover in my fridge, but I didn't want to go to the giant Loblaw's across the street. It seems really stupid to me to drive across the street to the Loblaw's parking lot, but the store is extremely pedestrian-hostile. Also, the store is just too large. All I wanted was cottage cheese, and maybe some parsley to go in the Cowboy Pie I was going to make for dinner.

So I decided to go a little out of my way to the Foodland store -- much smaller and almost on my drive.

But while I was on my way there (passed my normal turn, waiting at the light to turn onto Foodland's street) I realized I could replace the parsley with the chimichurri, and then it wouldn't be leftover in my fridge anymore, and I wouldn't need the parsley anymore.

I drove past Foodland and just went home.

Cowboy pie is like shepherd pie, except with cow in it. If it's got sheep in it, it's shepherd pie. This one has beef. It's actually based on a Rachael Ray recipe of cowboy spaghetti, but with mashed potato on top and baked for 30 minutes instead of the pasta. And it turned out (I hadn't looked at the recipe before starting this adventure) Cowboy spaghetti doesn't even have parsley in it.

I mixed a half cup of chimichurri into the mashed potato and wow, the house smelled so good!

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...