Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Word of the day: Wendigo

I first encountered this word a few weeks ago on Leah Bobet's blog, but I skipped over and paid it no nevermind. Anyway, it caught my eye again today when I was reading a short story. So I googled it. In November, I did like an hour of research of first-nations (specifically ojicree) mythology when I was writing the zombie karate novel. How did I not find this? How did I not learn about wendigos (wendigoes?) when I was learning mythology in high school English? And manitous? One of my friends goes to Camp Manitou every summer. How did I not know? Was I asleep? Is this proof of my ADD which no one else agrees I have? What?

I'm not needing to culturally appropriate or anything, but it would have been cool to know.

Also, this is awesome: http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.fan.heinlein/msg/0920b2f01ac0a248?hl=en. Not sure I ever finished a Heinlein novel. I know I didn't finish "The number of the beast" on account of I found it totally sexist. When I was 15.

3 comments:

ChiaLynn said...

I think my first exposure to the word Wendigo was on the cover of a horror novel.

Dahiana said...

Hey Robyn!...you are awesome. Im a green writer in university and I just recently decided that English is what I really want to do (and not science and chemistry and all that). Just wanted to say, keep it up! You've inspired me =)

longge said...

The most lv handbag being actresses Uma Thurman and Scarlett Johansson. For celebrities, flaunting replica louis vuitton handbags is the ultimate addition to their style quotient. lv known to display their varied collection of Louis Vuitton handbags at significant occasions are Denise Richards, Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Lindsay Lohan, Madonna, Nicole Richie, Angelina Jolie, louis vuitton handbags, Carmen Electra and Victoria Beckham.Louis Vuitton Replica HandbagsThe prospects of your splurging on expensive louis vuitton bags are remote if you are not a celebrity. So, here is an option that lets you own the latest louis vuitton, without spending a fortune. These are replica Louis Vuitton handbags, the exact copies of their original branded counterparts, that are available at much affordable prices.