Skip to main content

What I read -- Feb 10

I intended to read five books this month so that I could keep on track to 52 books this year, but somehow that didn't work out. I blame Maire (sweater) that I was knitting.

"Sun of Suns" by Karl Schroeder. He's the TPL writer-in-residence right now, so I thought I should read something he wrote in case I decide to go to one of his lectures or submit my work to him (I was thinking I would submit something, but I'm afraid he'll be all full up by the time I'm ready). He thanks David Nickle in the acknowledgements, another Toronto one degree of separation thing. Does every F/SF/H writer in TO owe David Nickle? V. strange. I didn't like the italic font, and the love interest sub-plot for the main character seemed very sudden. Other than that, it was a neat world, with neat characters. Way better than Ringworld.

Clearly I don't read enough hard SF.

"The Invisible Hook" by Peter T. Leeson. An entertaining look at how golden age pirates (1716-1726) ran their businesses. Because pirate ships were stolen and therefore were kind of owned collectively (or not at all), and because piracy was/is illegal, they were able to make progressive-seeming business decisions. I liked it so much I guess I bubbled, because everyone else in the house wants to read it, too. I kept telling the boy there's no plot, but he insists that's fine. Somehow I made the book sound like mario cart, apparently.

On both the OWW and VP lists, there were discussions recently about how no one reads the preface, and if you have one, just make it chapter 1... Both these books had prefaces that were treated as chapter 1. This annoyed me. Especially the "chapter 1" of the pirate book put me off and made me think it was going to be a much slower, more boring read than it was. I wonder if at some point the same people who now don't read the prolog or preface or introduction are going to stop reading Chapter 1, also.

"Wondrous Strange" Lesley Livingston. I got it for Christmas, presumably because I asked for it. It was on my list, though I don't remember why. Someone must have said it was good. And it was. It covered some of the same ground as, say, Holly Black's "tithe" or those Cassandra Clare books. There was a lot of "Midsummer Night's Dream" in it, which I also have characters out of in Toothbrushing Club (need to work on that, almost pulled out the draft....) But they are different characters than I used, which is good. Toronto author.

While I was reading this, I had a moment of annoyance with JKRowling, which I guess is odd and random. There are a lot of faerie creatures that come up in those stories -- bogarts, red caps, etc., -- and if you don't read much, you think those are her ideas. I'd like her to have done acknowledgements at some point in one of the seven books. That's all.

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...