So I was walking the boy to school this morning, and I saw a little girl walking along with her hoodie on backwards. She was eating chips, which I thought was kind of gross, because all those crumbs would be getting in the catch basin there. And I thought to myself, "Wow, I am so fashion out of it, that cover on the TKGA magazine a couple of months back, where the hood was being worn in the front, that's actually in style." TKGA is totally fashion forward, and I'm out of it again. And then we got down to the school, and I saw more children dressed like this, and I thought to myself, wow, this trend sure came out of nowhere. And then I saw a child wearing his backpack on his stomach, and the boy said to me, "Oh, mom, it's backwards day!" And he strapped his backpack on his front too.
Phew. Spirit day. I am relieved.
Webs is having their annual birthday sale, and it includes Harrisville Shetland style. I bought two cones of this last year, and it comes in a great range of colors and the price is awesome. So, if I can finish off three more projects, I'd like to buy six cones (a cone counts as a ball, and I have three balls already in the ball-buying bank, BBB for short). But I thought to myself, "Self, what if this stuff sucks to knit with? What if it cuts an actual bleeding hole in my left index finger? What if it skews?" The skewing is more of a concern, because Pat at Kirtland's Yarn Barn told me, when I asked a couple of years ago on KBTH, that she's had customers that had problems with skewing and weren't able to correct it. So on Monday night I pulled out Barbara Walker's "Knitting from the Top" and started a top-down set-in-sleeve sweater. For this, I learned the invisible cast-on. And after two inches, no skewing.
Last night I also learned how to crochet seams. This is not very hard. I would say I inherently knew how to do this already, having picked out an invisible seam before. Picking them out, the trick is to find the strand on the back, and then you can use it as a rip cord. I chose to crochet the seams because I was using a very elastic-y ribbon yarn, Filatura di Crosa Pasta, and I couldn't see running it through a needle, and I couldn't imagine using just regular thread or anything else in a needle. Basically I couldn't imagine poking a needle through this yarn. So, I crocheted the seams. And it worked very well, if I do say so myself.