Skip to main content

Community

A couple of weeks ago a couple of the lists I'm on went dark. What I mean is, they stopped sending mail for a few days. I, being unconnected in any other way with any of these people, had no real idea of course.

Knit Design list on Yahoo: well, it's not a high-traffic list, so they do occasionally have days go by with no new posts. Except that this was the list owner being annoyed about an on-going conversation about whether it was appropriate for someone to use names when talking about slow/late/non-payment of design fees.

KBTH: sending no mails for an entire weekend was just eerie. And this followed on the heels of, a couple of months ago, a KBTH splinter-list I joined (knit mafia) just disappearing one day. In that case, I sent an e-mail to someone I knew was on the list, by finding her e-mail on another list, and she was kind enough to respond and say that the list had been shut down by the owner and restarted under a different name. I never got an invite to join that list, but the knitting content was generally light and most of the talk was about marshmallow peeps and stuff, so I figured I was okay without it, and while my perverse nature means I'm fascinated by the meltdown that happened, really it's none of my business who doesn't get along with whom, and so I let it go. If they don't have the sense to recognize my quiet genius, that's their problem (i.e., they didn't invite me to join).

But it made me think about something. I have no real, non-virtual knitting community. I think that has got to change.

So I went to Knitter's Frolic. I wasn't planning to buy anything, except maybe two skeins each of various lots of KPPPM, or some aran yarn if it was ludicrously cheap, so I was afraid to go because I might get lured into buying something I don't need. But I was good. I only came home with three books:

"Unexpected Knitting" by Debbie New

"Here be Wyverns" by Nancy Spies

"Cable Knitting Handbook" by Annie Maloney

The first two were on my "must have" list. The third was on my "sort-of must have" list.

I didn't talk to anyone, and hardly anyone talked to me. If I'm trying to build a knitting community for myself, I'm going to have to come up with a plan.

Oh, and then next after that, I'm going to have to find myself a writing community. I always envied my friend Erin's writing group.

And then after that, I have to find a better music community. Maybe I need to join a Bulgarian women's choir, or a celtic ceilidh band or hang out in jazz bars or something. Or I could sit writing and knitting in a jazz bar and wait for my community to find me.

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

What I read: March, 2010

"The Man from St. Petersburg" Ken Follett. Oh. My. God. I read it because we had two copies lying around. Ick. This book made me feel dirty. I made some negative comment about this book to my sister, who repled "I've read every book he's ever written." I think she's mad at me now. This book was all tell, no show. There was no tension. The sex was funny. It reminded me of my dad's novel. It seemed well-researched, from what I can tell. When my friend said that of my karate-zombie novel, I took it as damning with faint praise, so there you go. There was no female character with whom I could identify. Or male character, for that matter. I don't need a woman to be a role model. I really strongly disliked this book. "Wanderlust" Rebecca Solnit. I'd come across her name in a discussion of the aftermath of the Haitian earthquake, and came across this when I was looking for her other book on the TPL website. As walking is an integral part o