Friday, August 02, 2013

In process, July 2013



First Draft
 “Vulgar Pony”. Short story. So I was maybe 80% through when I realized that this was an odd perversion of the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale, and that the idea it had started with was the one thing that didn’t fit in the story. I need to learn to be careful to just let the story end rather than dragging it out because I don’t know what I’ll be writing next.
“Lucky Kate”. I had to go back and write the middle of this story. See below. Also, in addition to 2+ pages of fish head, I had nearly a page of fish tail too!

Editing
“Imp Face”. Typed and made tons of notes for how to fix it. What’s there was a good frame, but it needed the other half of the story to be written between the lines. But this seems to be my process – write something and then put the story into it. I was sure I had printed it, but had to scour the house looking for it.
After an editing pass on it, I had a spare half hour one evening and sat down and read the whole thing again with a highlighter pen and just tagged anything I thought sucked. This was a good exercise, reading the whole thing straight through at once rather than poring over each sentence, because I could notice the boring bits.
“Chickpea”. I took this out after I don’t know how long moldering. This claims to be draft 5, and it’s nice to be able to take something out of the “ignoring” pile every once in a while.
“Lucky Kate”. This got a plot. That made it much easier to delete almost half of the story.

Connecting
Not so much.

Circulating
1 out there.
8 rejects for 2013 so far.

Knitting
“Ceremonial Armour”. KF cardigan. The bodice is ¾ done now, and I’m going to finish it before starting anything else, since once that’s done the next steps will be easy and I can start something else hard.
IK Vertex cardigan spring 2013. Less than an inch to a finished body, and the sleeves are short so this will blessedly end soon.
Penzance out of cascade 220. Waistband done.

No comments: