Skip to main content

What I read - July, 2012


“Goliath” by Scott Westerfield. The boy got it for Christmas. Ed read it after he did. I read it after this giant stack of other books. I had no trouble reading 100 pages of this at a single sitting. It was not a slog. I would pick it up to fill ten minutes while my tuna melt was melting, and have to drag myself away to eat. This really nicely wrapped up the series and the ending was satisfying. Plus, pictures!

“The Pattern Scars” by Caitlin Sweet. Her name had been on my to-read list since I saw her on a panel at Ad Astra 2010. Then there was this CBC voting thing where I voted for this book a whole bunch of times. So, at Ad Astra 2012, I bought a copy of this (from Matt Moore actually who was manning the Chizine table) in order to legitimize that vote. Not really sure if I would have picked it up otherwise. I really knew nothing about it, I’m sure I read the back and the web synopsis, but I didn’t have much of a sense of plot before I started reading.

So glad I did. This book was one to stay up past my bedtime to finish. The setting wasn’t euro-centric, the main character, Nola, was trapped and yet had agency. She had unlikeable traits, and yet her naivete at the beginning was charming. The bad guy was complex and I could sort of see how he went that way, with the flashbacks in the form of stories he told Nola. Her path sort of explains his path. Though I couldn’t get the motivations of some of the minor characters, but maybe that’s because I read so fast. The ending was heartbreaking, yet right. I liked the short sections within chapters, it made the book very easy to pick up and put down while I was cooking and stuff. Maybe I’ll try that in my next long project (probably NaNoWriMo at this rate).

“The Undead” by Dick Teresi. Honestly, the ridiculous collection of one-star reviews on Amazon only made this book seem more appealing, especially since a lot of them seemed to have not read the book or ever reviewed anything else.

So I picked it up at the library and in order to plan my life, I flipped to the  back to see how long it was and found myself in the endnotes. So entertaining! Whole email threads! Before I started reading I was thinking this book was going to be one I would want to argue with the author about. You know, kind of like he’s the obnoxious devil’s advocate type.

Well, if he is, then he’s the sort of devil’s advocate I like. His sense of humor was dark and appropriate to the subject matter, making fun of people like Richard Dawkins, rather than the dead people. I’ve signed the organ donation portion of my driver’s license and I don’t mind this all, but it is interesting, the relative values we’re putting on some people’s lives over others. He raised important questions, ones that need addressing. Disturbing, but entertaining. I laughed out loud!

“7th Sigma” by Stephen Gould. This one the boy got for Christmas. He put off reading it for a long time, maybe because he didn’t know anything about it. Then one day he handed it to me and said “This is a good one. You should really read this one.” As if all those other books he’s handed me were merely adequate.

This book is more episodic than I expected, but the episodes held together. The world is well-conceived and well-explained. I am going to have to take some parts apart a bit, because he’s targeting a similar audience to my zombie novel, and I want to see how he works the martial arts, the terminology especially. The writing is so rich in detail!

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...