Skip to main content

In progress: December 2024


Wind/Water/Salt Chapters 39-51: Nothing. 

Persephone (probably not its real name): I think I figured out the ending. 
Short Stories: Wrote a new one, on paper. Typed it up. Edited it some. Probably made it worse. 
Critted 4 Got back 0
Submissions 0 Out there 0 Rejects 0
Knitting
  • Blushing Cloud (Knitty S/S24). Started the month with 14 inches of back done. I finished that, cast off the back, seamed the sleeves, and started the edging. I knew I was going to run out of yarn so at that point I just switched from green to pink. It's finished now. 
  • Hamilton (Self). Started the month having just started the first sleeve. Now that sleeve is 6 inches long. 
  • Seamless seam socks (Knitpicks Pop Socks). Started the month almost done with the second.  Finished that one, started the next. This is the second pair, the last pair for Christmas. And they are done. Maybe I'll knit some socks for myself now. Or when I've got these other projects under control. I wound up with a day when all three projects needed me to look not just at my hands, but at the instructions! Very hard for reading the entire internet on a Sunday morning. 
  • Sulaire (Alice Starmore). I had maybe 8 points of the first side of the peplum done at the start of the month, not impressive. Finished the peplums, started the body, attached them, knitted in the car. That body is now maybe five inches long. 

Sashiko project: Nothing. 

Ruffle skirt: I actually meant to work on this over the year-end break, but that didn't happen. 

Purple Romper: Nope. 

Popular posts from this blog

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...