Skip to main content

In progress -- November 2022

Wind/Water/Salt Chapters 39-51: Still need to take up comments and revise. 

Persephone (probably not its real name): Worked more on the ending (which despite what I wrote last month wasn't done, just rewritten what I'd written before). The one POV's ending is kind of done-ish, and I had a revelation about the other POV's, which makes the whole story make sense. 
Short Stories: Went through all the comments on the one I put up last month and pulled out another one from the archive. Then the boy challenged me to read the crits on the one I posted recently, so I did, and we talked about the ending, so maybe I'll work on that. Then I was reading twitter which gave me an idea about how to fix another story, which I started to do instead. The point is, lots of plans, no action. 
Critted 9 Got back 4 
Did I mention I decided to scale back my reviews to two per week to give myself time to actually work on my own projects? I did. Did I work on my own projects? Hahahahaha. 
Submissions 0 Out there 1 Rejects 0

Knitting
  • Striped long-sleeved t-shirt (self).  Would have worked on this, except for the socks. 
  • Tay Tartan cardigan (Martin Storey). Decided I need to use the needle on something else, so this had to be finished. I did maybe 8 rows. 57 to go, then the endless finishing!
  • Extra Whip socks (Coffeehouse knits). Finished the ninth, tenth, and eleventh socks, started the thirteenth (complicated story. I'm pretty sick of socks, but Christmas is almost here. 
Sashiko project: I didn't work on it because I think it's going to be too long and dowdy. Shortening it now is easy. 

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...