Skip to main content

In Process -- December 2019


Wind/Water/Salt
Chapter 21:  I read some of the comments on Chapter 20, and tried to use that here. 
Chapter 22: Did some drafts, made some changes based on reading chapter 24…
Chapter 23: At this point things fall apart. I realized there is absolutely no thread of the goal of the bad guy in this novel, and started just making notes and thinking about going back to the beginning and starting over. So I might actually do that – go through a couple of chapters per month and try to make the first half of this project a little more cohesive.
Chapter 24: I did manage to read this and made some markups. 

Navigationally, I’ve been really enjoying what I can do with Persephone, so I went back and renamed all my chapters with POV character and a bit of what happens so I can find things faster. I’m also considering moving it to Google Docs.


Persephone (probably not its real name)
Last month ended with me discovering a horrible, horrible thing that one of my characters does at the climax, so I was able to keep momentum and write the sections around that, which amounted to 20,000 words! 

One of my pet peeves is stories where most of the conflict could be resolved by the two characters telling each other one key bit of information that’s really obvious to the reader. So, I wrote some scenes where characters tried to do that… whether it was understood by the other character is another matter. I do have to deal with the fact that Lindsay is a thief (not a spoiler) and never really tells Aaron this until about a year into the novel. 

Connecting
Critted  6
Got back 5


Subs
---
Knitting
FI Corset belt. Started month half done. I’m sick of having it around. I think I won’t start any more projects until this is done, because it’s stupid to just ignore it like this. The yarn is just so annoying, though. That’s the real problem.
Sunny skies of winter (KP 2015 FI) Started the month on the body increases. I’m about an inch from the bottom ribbing now.
Bertha socks #2: Finally some socks for me! Because I need three cones to be used up. Done.
Pirate socks: Gift. One sock is done.
Candlemas by Jean Moss. Did about an inch of back. 


The ceiling adjacent to the sewing machine was leaking last month which made sewing even less palatable (because I would have to move the bucket to do it, etc.). This month the roof seems to have healed up or something, so I did a couple of seams and put the zipper in. I sewed through my thumb but kept going (after applying a bandaid of course). That won't stop me! It’s a fall dress (grey and brown velveteen) so I’ve missed the window for this year, but maybe next.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: August 2023

"The Absolute Book" by Elizabeth Knox. I got it for Christmas. It was delightful, even if maybe some stuff wasn't explained completely. Or maybe that's part of why it was delightful.  "Crucial conversations" By Joseph Grenny and three other old white men. Another office book club selection. The word "candor" comes up a lot. I really resented this book.  LHC #220: "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt. There was a girl at my previous company who wanted to have an office book club, and she had this book on her desk for months and months. I can totally understand this. I found portions crazy stressful to read. Like, I would be skipping ahead to see how much more in the section, could I get through it, pacing around, etc. I wanted to know how it ended, sure, but I was having weird stress dreams and stuff. If it wasn't a library book I might not have finished it at all. It was such a relief when Boris showed up again and something happened. I di

In Progress -- July 2023

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Still n eed to take up comments and revise.  Persephone  (probably not its real name): Nothing but thoughts.  Short Stories:  As I mentioned last month I had a dish-washing epiphany on a story that wasn't going well. I'd already changed the POV character, but I knew that wasn't enough because I had no ending. It has an ending now.  Critted  4  Got back  0    I really need to post something new. Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   1 Knitting Tay Tartan cardigan  (Martin Storey). Finally finished the danglers and minor seaming and chose buttons, then had to wait to block because the space I normally block in needed to be cleared, and this would be very disruptive to my work, so I waited to block it for the night before I went on vacation. It would appear that the finishing of this sweater took 4 months, which may be a new record. It fits for the most part. Yay!  Cathar  (self). Started the month just about done with the body edging.