“The Top of the Volcano”. Wound up with a 6000-word draft for a 3000-word planned story. Wrote an outline halfway through, think that helped.
“Spinnerette”. Short story, exercise in pastiche. It was planned to be 2000 words, but I wound up with 4000. Of course. Dean Wesley Smith would hate me. I think I went a couple of pages past the end.
“Before Breakfast”. Probably a working title, but anyway. I wrote 500 words and then realized I needed characters and interaction, and it turned out they were both women not men, which changes everything. Who knew!
“Wind/Water/Salt”. Chapters 28 to 34 edited. Also made some minor changes to earlier spots to make the later stuff make sense.
“Lucky Kate”. Typed up the middle that I rewrote a while ago, culled some bits out to make it make sense.
Went to workshop day at ad astra. If I’d stayed longer I might have made some friends. I did three workshops. The first one was Getting out of the slushpile, and it was really good. Then was lunch, and then was Writing Diversity, which was also good but not all about me. This workshop made me like Leah Bobet more. She came across as very human. The third one was fixing your Story Gremlins, and I would have gotten more out of it if I hadn’t done three workshops, or even if there had been a break between 2 and 3 maybe.
So I learned a couple of things:
1. I should build some empty space into my conventioning, rather than try to pack everything tightly together. Go to the con suite, chill, not have a plan. The best things happen when I don’t have a plan.
2. My novel doesn’t suck, it just needs more editing down.
“Ceremonial Armour” (Kaffe Fassett, knit from a photo). 26 rows to go on the body.
“St. Anthony’s Ribbon” (self-designed). Ignored.
Vinterlys (Norsk Strikkedesign). Second sleeve now 7 inches long, did a couple more inches on the body.
Rust Damask Jacket (Takle & Kolstadt). Finished two inches bottom ribbing in the car. Will work on this seriously when vinterlys is done.
I have too many projects right now. Two of them need to be done.