Monday, April 06, 2015

In process -- March 2015



First Draft
“Evening Glory”. 13000 words and draft? It’s a mess, and writing the last page I sort of felt like I’d written the first portion of a novel, rather than a short story. This might be a disappointment I’ll never look at again.
“The Top of the Volcano”. Short story, 3000 words of what was meant to be a 3000-word story, and it’s only half done. I need to accept perhaps that my writing process involves writing twice as much as I need (though some of that is really notes to my future self that I can take out once I know I’ve hit those points) and editing is all about carving away the excess to get to the good story underneath. I did write myself a lovely outline (at about 2500 words) so I can get to the end.

Editing
“Wind/Water/Salt”. Last edits for this draft to chapters 9 and 11, and then moved on to 14-17. Then things started picking up and I didn’t have to move so much and the process started being a bit more like I imagined it should be, going through deleting the boring, repetitive bits, the spots where I get all explain-y.

And then I realized that my POV rotation switched at Chapter 23, so I had to fix that, which I did by going back to the beginning again. But it was doable. And every time I move everything around, things get a bit better. I just finished tidying chapter 27.

“Lucky Kate”. For days when I’m not working on WWS, I pulled this out. There’s a good story here now I think.


Connecting
--

Circulating
2

Knitting
“Ceremonial Armour” (Kaffe Fassett, knit from a photo). Second sleeve done, started body. I made a pile of the nine balls of contrast that need a specific background, with the goal of getting all those nine balls put away. That would mean the body was half done. And I realized that there were 162 rows left in the body as I’d designed it, and if each row took 15 minutes, then that was 40 hours of knitting, on that project alone. Two of the nine balls are still sitting out.
“St. Anthony’s Ribbon” (self-designed). I set it aside for a couple of weeks to figure out what to do about the neckline and binged on Ceremonial Armour instead, and didn’t pick it up again. I think I need to delete a few rounds.
Vinterlys (Norsk Strikkedesign). First sleeve done. Second sleeve started.
Rust Damask Jacket (Takle & Kolstadt). Ignored, since I wasn’t supposed to start it anyway.

No comments: