Skip to main content

In process -- June 2013



First Draft
“This is the Church, and This is the Steeple”. Might have written 10,000 words, and about a thousand of those after I’d written “the end”, but finally finished.
“Cartographer”. Short story. Waterman butterfly! Rivers forgotten! I started and finished this, and it’s crap but whatever. The plot starts around page 9 of 16.
“Vulgar Pony”. Short story. Started.

Editing
“Don’t Choose Astronaut”. Got it under 3000 words, but it makes me sad now.  
“Lucky Kate”. Yeah, I read it and set it aside.
“Selkie Girls are Easy.” Draft three had been underway at the start of the month, and it took me half the month to finish, but finish it I did (draft 3).

Connecting
CZ reading series 12 June had GGK. How could I not go to that?

Circulating
1 out there.
8 rejects for 2013 so far.

Knitting
“Biohazard”. (pullover) Finished. Now if only it was cold enough to wear it.
“Ceremonial Armour”. KF cardigan. No real progress – maybe two rows.
IK Vertex cardigan spring 2013. This was great for knitting in the car.  I’m five inches below the armholes.
Insubordination Socks. In my day job, the branding group sent out guidelines on how to use our new logo. Our favorite page, of course, was the “don’t” page. Using the logo as an all-over pattern was in there, and once I saw that, what else could I do?
Penzance. The picture in my head for this project is SO AWESOME. The yarn is Cascade 220. What can go wrong? I swatched it.

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...