Skip to main content

In Process -- Feb 2013



First Draft
“Useful Things to Know”. Turned into a fun little steampunk Dr. George story, which wasn’t expected.
“The Last Flaw of Nandini Taylor.” Well, I had to start something, but I didn’t really know where I was going with it.
“Meet my Mother, Miss Cegenation.” So I had read a piece in Toronto Life about the rise of mixed race kids, and I was thinking about a person I know who doesn’t know who her father is and hence may, I don’t know, obsess a bit on this topic. And selkies. I know they’re for losers, but I wanted to write one anyway.

Editing

 “Don’t Choose Astronaut”. The second draft was little better than the first, because it went from (mostly) 3rd person past to 1st person present. Also, once there was text there, I could decide where the tension belonged. I got this wrong in the first draft, so wound up having to fake tension. Once the fake tension was gone and their resolution was a proper climax, the end worked better. I’m on the fourth draft of this thing now, and OMG I need to find a way to write better first drafts.

66885 – Needed a wee bit of research about Schrodinger’s cat, and then a final edit and got sent on its way. This story might be too “inside” to make sense to others. As in, I’m not sure if you need to know too much broadcast jargon, and how QA works. I was worried about formatting, because the story is written as a sequence of comments in fault-tracking software, so manuscript format would make it hard to read. Turns out it looks fine. 

So the shocking thing here actually was, I took the story out having left it for a week or two while I worked on something else, and I did that scrap of research and opened the file again, but realized OMG the last time I’d looked at it was like two months ago. I mentioned something like this in January’s recap as well. Why does it take me so long to finish anything? WTF? 
  

Knitting

“Biohazard”. (pullover) Second sleeve is my carry-around project. 

“Ceremonial Armour”. KF cardigan. ¼ finished upper body. 

“Tenney Park.” Body and sleeves finished, blocked, seamed, finished, and worn! People think I’m really good at this knitting thing, but I think I’ve just got more tenacity than others. When I started the body of this one, I’d worked for about two hours and realized that the gauge was way too tight and it would never fit. And so, I ripped it out and started again.

“Seaport Skirt” from Modern Top-down knitting. Uses some stash yarn, win! And again, I started and realized that I was reading the pattern wrong and had to rip out six rows. And they’re long rows. I have nine inches, so almost half done.
 

Popular posts from this blog

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...