Thursday, September 24, 2009

CONvergence

So in my ongoing plan to, you know, become a published author, I thought it would be a good idea to go to a FSF convention. Every few weeks I think of this, and today I went to the locus website to check out if their Convention listings had been updated so I could find one that I could go to that wouldn't cost me a lot of money (I've kind of blown my FSF budget for the next little while, with VP and the netbook, etc.).

And in fact, there was a listing for Ad Astra 2010, April 9-11, and I clicked on the link and it's within a 20-minute bike ride of my house. And has been probably since I moved there (I didn't actually look in archives to find that out, but still).

And then I went poking around in the "other guests" section, and there was the name David Nickle, apparently a horror writer. And I thought to myself, hey, is that the guy who writes articles and opinion pieces about city hall in the Toronto Community News, with such a wry sense of humor? He's the only thing I like about that paper! Well, other than the sudoku and the crossword and the community news. Anyway, his columns are a highlight, and I look for them specifically.

Yes, it is the same person.

And then I went to Whatever, and apparently in 2010 John Scalzi will be there, too. Freaky.

Though his name does not come up with interesting acronyms at all. Must be the z.

2 comments:

David Nickle said...

Hey, thank you for that incredibly kind shout-out, Robyn. It's nice to know that my columns do more than just make people very angry. And yes, you should definitely come to Ad Astra. It's a good place to meet other writers/readers - and it's also a good excuse to ride your bike in April.

Robyn said...

As if I need an excuse. I printed out a calendar for 2010, just so I could put Ad Astra on it.