Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I started working the brilliant Shakespeare theme into Toothbrush today. A couple of elements had already been there, which is kind of funny. I had these girls, and I needed to give them names... so they got MND names. And now, those names are actually motivated, and the element that they comprised seems more rooted in the plot.

It's this sort of thing that makes me not feel so bad about how long it takes me to edit. The idea popped up somewhat unbidden as I was falling asleep on Monday, and it's remarkable that I was able to start working it in. Often, by the time I get around to exercising my genius, it doesn't seem nearly so clever any more.

So that was probably 40 minutes of a sonnet and some new conversation. On about Tuesday I realized there's a scene that just has to be removed, as it doesn't work with the ages of the characters. Maybe I should take it out now, and then have some lunch.

No comments: