Skip to main content

My Rachael Ray Post

So on Saturday I was at the bookstore, and I picked up the new VK and a Rachael Ray 30-minute meals cookbook, "Express Lane Meals" or some such thing. I'm not accustomed to the staff at the bookstore commenting on what I buy -- even though I buy knitting magazines all the time, they never say "Do you knit?" or "Did you knit that sweater you're wearing right now?"

But the cashier said to me, "Do you like Rachael Ray?"

To which I responded "I've never seen her show, but I keep reading these reviews that say her recipes really work, and I really need some help..." Not that my cooking is bad or anything, I think others in my family might say it's just too infrequent.

Big long pause. "I've seen her show," the cashier said finally.

"I hear she's sort of annoying on TV, " I said.

And the cashier blurted out, "She comes across sort of as if she doesn't know what she's talking about." All righty, then.

I bought the book anyway, and yesterday I hit the grocery store and bought the ingredients for three of the recipes. Sure, that indicates that I missed the point of the book already, but then last night I went home and made "Black Bean and Rice Stoup" (That's too long of a name, and sort of dorky, so in my own mind I refer to it as "Page 64", which might make me as annoying as Rachael Ray, just in a different way.)

It was really good. It took me 42 minutes to make, but maybe I just don't have my Rachael Ray system down yet. And I figure the book paid for itself already. It was $24.95. I would have gone to a restaurant if I didn't want to try something new, and that would have cost me and the boy about $38. Instead I had two beers ($4), and the meal took two cans of black beans, one can of tomatoes, and a cup of corn (the things I didn't already have on hand), which adds up to less than $5. So last night's meal came in at $33. 95. I'm already ahead.

Oh, and the boy ate it (unenthusiastically, but he ate it) and I have four bins of it left in my fridge for lunches this week. Yay, Rachael Ray.

Yay, puppies.

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...