Skip to main content

What I read: August 2024


LHC #260: "Pale Horse, Pale Rider: Three Short Novels" by Katherine Anne Porter. I put this on my list because of my ongoing writing project about a pandemic, but that was two years ago and I've barely worked on that project in the last year to be honest. Question for myelf: Why am I so afraid of reading old things? I had trepidation about this, but in fact it was a delight. Not sure these would count as novels these days, as I read each one basically on a bus ride to/from dance class. 

LHC #261: "Run, Hide, Repeat: A memoir of a fugitive childhood" by Pauline Dakin. eBook. I wanted something less stressful because Klara and the Sun was getting me down, and a whole lot of things had a waitlist, so I chose this. I spent most of the book wondering which character was going to wind up with what mental disorder, very satisfying. Good read. 

LHC #262: "The Mountain in the Sea" by Ray Nayler. eBook. I wanted this one because it was the next longest on the list, but it had a two-week wait. However, in my experience, Two weeks means soon, and Soon means a couple of hours. This actually appeared in four hours. Anyway, I devoured it, really good book, totally all-in on its themes. The characters were all so alienated! 

"Study for Obedience" by Sarah Bernstein. Office book club selection. Audio book. I think I need to not listen to some of these things on audiobook,, it's starting to get me down. Unfortunately they're a great way to get through all this fair isle knitting.  

LHC #263: "The Silk Road" by Kathryn Davis. I read her The Walking Tour a very long time ago. I  must have been able to follow it better than this, because I remember liking it. This had some outstanding sentences, paragraphs, chapters even, but I had no idea what was going on. I read some Amazon reviewers afterwards, and other than the people who were clearly reviewing a completely different book, I wasn't alone. 

LHC #264: "Opium Fiend" by Steven Martin. eBook. Not as distressing as I expected, though I suppose to some extent most of the book is about dabbling and he's not really much of a fiend. This was on my list for the same reason as #260 above, and it didn't disappoint. 

"Fire Weather" by John Vaillant. Recommended by my director at work, so we kind of made our own little team book club. I set it up as a race between the ebook and the audio book, and was pretty happy that the audio book won on Overdrive, because it's non-fiction. Pretty long, though. It didn't hurt that I think I'm pretty well politically aligned with the author. Totally glad I read it. Would recommend. 

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: March 2024

  LHC #240: "Vita Nostra" by  Maryna and Serhiy Dyachenko. Translated by Julia Meitov Hersey. All I knew going in was dark academia. This was a neat thing to read after A Deadly Education last month. The students can leave this school at summer and winter break, but maybe they shouldn't. Also, interesting education method, providing Sasha with a CD player and punishing her if she leaves it in the mode where it plays all the tracks in sequence.  "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman. When I finished Ragnarok by AS Byatt (last month? January?) I was thinking it might have made more sense if I had any knowledge of the subject matter. The boy had left this lying around, and it was not a tough read.  LHC #241: "Science on a mission: How Military funding shaped what we do and don't know about the ocean" by Naomi Oreskes.  I deferred this once because it was so long. History of science is challenging for me to read, because of the need to get a grasp on dispr

What I read: July 2024

"Don't sleep, there are snakes" by Daniel Everett.  Recommended to me by a translator I work with, someone gave it to me for Christmas. I found I didn't have a whole lot of sympathy for some of Daniel's situations, pretty much for the reason he expected.  LHC #256: "The Princess Will Save You" by Sarah Henning. eBook. I bet I put it on my list because it's a gender-swapped princess bride complete with pirates. What's to go wrong with that? I found the unrelenting awesome-genius-righteousness of the good guys and the endless stupid-shallow idiocy of the bad guys tedious after a while but it wasn't terrible. The plot was good, just sometimes the writing was not very subtle.  LHC #257: "The Man who was Thursday: A Nightmare" by G.K. Chesterton. eBook. It was on my list because of Neil Gaiman. Quick read, very fun. Not many women!  LHC #258: "Klara and the Sun" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Audio book because I had the eBook on hold f