Skip to main content

In progress: August 2024

Very messy inside of an almost finished sweater.

Wind/Water/Salt Chapters 39-51: Still need to take up comments and revise. 

Persephone (probably not its real name): Continued to think thoughts. 
Short Stories:  After posting that short story from last month onto the workshop, I picked one of those short stories I'd started and forced a plot onto it. 
Critted 5 Got back 4
Submissions 0 Out there 0 Rejects 0
Knitting
  • Cathar (self). Started month with two inches done above the armholes. Listening to audiobooks, I finished the fair isle portion, cut the steeks, and set up and knit the neckline. Just the endless finishing now.  
  • Blushing Cloud (Knitty S/S24). Started the month with (still) three inches of back done. Socks take priority. 
  • Elbrus socks (Knitty first fall 2024). Finished. 
  • Elbrus socks II. Started the first. 
  • Pole shorts (Joan McGowan-Michael). I knitted these several years ago, but the crotch was too narrow so I rarely wore them. I still had a bit of yarn so I added a couple of inches, much more reasonable now. I will wear them for pole. 

Sashiko project: Nothing. 

Ruffle skirt: Nothing. 

Purple Romper: The real problem that kept me from working on this was fear of running out of fabric. And also cutting. Feeling brave one day, I cut the sides so I could put it on, and realized it wasn't that bad, but that still I didn't really have enough hip room. I devised a plan to fix that, but unfortunately it didn't involve actually understanding how sewing is different from knitting so I'm not entirely happy. Maybe I can cover the worst bits with patch pockets? 

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: March 2024

  LHC #240: "Vita Nostra" by  Maryna and Serhiy Dyachenko. Translated by Julia Meitov Hersey. All I knew going in was dark academia. This was a neat thing to read after A Deadly Education last month. The students can leave this school at summer and winter break, but maybe they shouldn't. Also, interesting education method, providing Sasha with a CD player and punishing her if she leaves it in the mode where it plays all the tracks in sequence.  "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman. When I finished Ragnarok by AS Byatt (last month? January?) I was thinking it might have made more sense if I had any knowledge of the subject matter. The boy had left this lying around, and it was not a tough read.  LHC #241: "Science on a mission: How Military funding shaped what we do and don't know about the ocean" by Naomi Oreskes.  I deferred this once because it was so long. History of science is challenging for me to read, because of the need to get a grasp on dispr

What I read: July 2024

"Don't sleep, there are snakes" by Daniel Everett.  Recommended to me by a translator I work with, someone gave it to me for Christmas. I found I didn't have a whole lot of sympathy for some of Daniel's situations, pretty much for the reason he expected.  LHC #256: "The Princess Will Save You" by Sarah Henning. eBook. I bet I put it on my list because it's a gender-swapped princess bride complete with pirates. What's to go wrong with that? I found the unrelenting awesome-genius-righteousness of the good guys and the endless stupid-shallow idiocy of the bad guys tedious after a while but it wasn't terrible. The plot was good, just sometimes the writing was not very subtle.  LHC #257: "The Man who was Thursday: A Nightmare" by G.K. Chesterton. eBook. It was on my list because of Neil Gaiman. Quick read, very fun. Not many women!  LHC #258: "Klara and the Sun" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Audio book because I had the eBook on hold f