Skip to main content

What I read: May 2024




"Educated" by Tara Westover. Office book club selection for June, and one of my other colleagues who isn't in book club read it and found it good but harrowing. And my sister read it and said I'd like it. She made me cry, when her mother said "You were my child. I should have protected you." And then of course I was angry for the rest of the book. I hadn't realized when I started that her PhD is in history, that made so much of what I liked make sense (where she's presenting differing views in the footnotes, etc.) 

LHC #246: "For the Wolf" by Hannah Whitten. Hard copy because the TPL Overdrive site had 2 copies and 72 holds, so a wait of "at least six months". I found it sort of hard to read, something about the sentences and paragraphs didn't sit right. The characters' communication styles drove me crazy, maybe it was condoning toxic masculinity? Not the book for me I guess.

LHC #247: "The Women could Fly" by Megan Giddens. Audiobook because I needed something to knit to. Really good, highly recommended. 

LHC #248: "Customs: Poems" by Solmaz Sharif. Who knows why I put this on my list. I have discovered that the optimal way for me to read poetry is on a monitor that I can't reach, in the breaks between practicing my balancing. That way I have to read slowly and properly understand. 

LHC #249: "An Agent of Utopia" by Andy Duncan. Hard copy. Short stories. I read it mostly on the bus. People probably think I'm unhinged for laughing. 

LHC #250: "So you want to be a wizard" by Diane Duane. eBook. Another one I'm not the target audience for, and yet I feel like I knew someone once for whom this book was totally the jam. They had an obsession with lotuses, for example. 

Popular posts from this blog

Best TW feedback ever

Over at the dayjob, SMEs are feverishly trying to get documents back to me all marked up, in preparation for the release that's supposed to happen the week I'm back from VP. Today's best comment: Unfortunately not true. SMEs, they're so cute.

What I read: March 2024

  LHC #240: "Vita Nostra" by  Maryna and Serhiy Dyachenko. Translated by Julia Meitov Hersey. All I knew going in was dark academia. This was a neat thing to read after A Deadly Education last month. The students can leave this school at summer and winter break, but maybe they shouldn't. Also, interesting education method, providing Sasha with a CD player and punishing her if she leaves it in the mode where it plays all the tracks in sequence.  "Norse Mythology" by Neil Gaiman. When I finished Ragnarok by AS Byatt (last month? January?) I was thinking it might have made more sense if I had any knowledge of the subject matter. The boy had left this lying around, and it was not a tough read.  LHC #241: "Science on a mission: How Military funding shaped what we do and don't know about the ocean" by Naomi Oreskes.  I deferred this once because it was so long. History of science is challenging for me to read, because of the need to get a grasp on dispr

What I read: July 2024

"Don't sleep, there are snakes" by Daniel Everett.  Recommended to me by a translator I work with, someone gave it to me for Christmas. I found I didn't have a whole lot of sympathy for some of Daniel's situations, pretty much for the reason he expected.  LHC #256: "The Princess Will Save You" by Sarah Henning. eBook. I bet I put it on my list because it's a gender-swapped princess bride complete with pirates. What's to go wrong with that? I found the unrelenting awesome-genius-righteousness of the good guys and the endless stupid-shallow idiocy of the bad guys tedious after a while but it wasn't terrible. The plot was good, just sometimes the writing was not very subtle.  LHC #257: "The Man who was Thursday: A Nightmare" by G.K. Chesterton. eBook. It was on my list because of Neil Gaiman. Quick read, very fun. Not many women!  LHC #258: "Klara and the Sun" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Audio book because I had the eBook on hold f