Skip to main content

What I read: January 2018



“A Conjuring of Light” by V.E.Schwab. Book 3, I read book 2 in maybe... November? Of course I had to make the boy buy me this for Christmas, considering how book 2 ended. I spent a lot of this book hoping that Kell would hook up with Holland or maybe just die. Anything would be better than being stuck with Lila. Then of course I felt guilty, because do I hate her because she’s female? Would I tolerate her better if she was a man? Um… maybe. I didn’t totally hate her by the end, but it seemed like she was the meanest taker and suffered the least consequences, so. I mean, I feel like the author tried to give her some consequences, but there was no way to make Lila really care about them. Though days later I was still bereft at having finished the story. I will miss them all so much.

Though I’ve just noticed that she’s doing a sequel trilogy and I’m not sure how I feel about that…

Library Hold Challenge!
I put a lot of books on inactive library hold so I don’t forget about them. The list is currently up around 55 books, and that’s getting unmanageable. Last year I managed to read everything that had been there since 2016, and I don’t know if I can do the 2017 ones but I will try. There’s one I might just purchase, but I should read it anyway. Or set myself up for 2019 “Books I bought and never read challenge” which wouldn’t go so well I suspect because I bought at least a few of those books because they were too fat to read in 3 weeks. Or “Books I brought home from my mother’s house Challenge” which wouldn’t go so well because a lot of them are “serious literature” and I can only take so much “serious”.

So, LHC #1: “Everfair” by Nisi Shawl. Not really sure what I expected here, but I was quite looking forward to this book. It’s 380 pages (roughly) and has a ton of characters, who I had a hard time connecting to, I think because the story takes place over like 40 years. To tell the story she was telling, I suppose it had to have that scope, but maybe it should have been longer? I don’t know… I didn’t realize until about 100 pages from the end that I was missing the point. This story wasn’t so much about the characters, the characters were in service of the place. And in the case of this story that’s not a bad thing.

“Fortunately the Milk” by Neil Gaiman. I gave this to Ed for Christmas even though it’s meant for I guess 8-year-olds. Ed didn’t care and read it anyway and then forced it on me. It was cute, but not important I think.

“Persepolis” by Marjane Satrapi. I’ve got this short story I work on sometimes, and it needed some background about Iran. I’d known about Persepolis for a long time, but it wasn’t really on my radar to read. I’m so glad I did. The voice was marvelous.

Not really reading, but where else do you put it? I listened to the entirety of Blueprint for Armageddon by Dan Carlin, a podcast about WWI. Six episodes, all over 3 hours. It’s like reading a whole book.

Popular posts from this blog

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...