Skip to main content

"Stardust" by Neil Gaiman

Why I read it: So I was sitting in a restaurant with Ed and the boy, and I mentioned that I was almost done "Inkheart" and I might read Stardust next. Ed freaked out and ranted that no, I wasn't going to do that, some other book would come ready for me at the library, and I would read that book instead, and I wouldn't finish Stardust, and it had been months and months and months since he had asked me to read it so then we could watch the movie. I pointed out that it could not possibly have been "months and months and months" because he'd gotten Stardust for Christmas, and that was, tops, four months ago, which can only be months and months, months being plural. You can't count the same months over and over when you're saying "months and months," the months are additive. I didn't mention that it hadn't technically been four months yet, because it was only about the 11th of April, so it couldn't even be months and months. That seemed superfluous.
What I liked: I read it in a day. It was a day when my jaw hurt and my neck hurt and I was having insane allergies, so it was really nice to have something that was totally enjoyable and entertaining and light and not difficult that I could breeze through and feel like I had accomplished something, other than blowing my nose 40 times. I also liked how so many disparate storylines joined together so neatly at the end. It's hard to do that without seeming contrived. And I liked that there were all these people looking for the star for different reasons. So often in fantasy lit, everyone is looking for the same thing for variations on the same reason. This was a refreshing change. I also liked that Tristram never really seemed all that special, for being half of faerie and all that. And the town of Wall, kind of like Bordertown, but with a more specific place, was great. I'd love to read something set in the now, rather than during the victorian era, set in Wall. I hope they still have the market every nine years.
What I hated: When it was over, maybe. Also, the part about Una being freed when the moon lost a daughter in a week that joined two mondays or whatever seemed a little trite. What is it with NG and having characters with last names that are the names of the week? And the short story at the end in the bonus materials was a little icky to me.
What I can steal: I loved the way he glossed over the necessary fantasy tropes that really drag out a novel. You know, where Tristram and the girl were almost press-ganged into a goblin war, and almost suckered into working in mines. Yeah, they were in a months-long trek across faerie, so those things happened, and they got out of them through their quick wits, and by running really fast. We don't need to have those scenes fleshed out. All-in-all, this book really had an excellent sense of proportion.

Popular posts from this blog

What I read: September 2025

LHC #295: "The Last to Leave the Room" by Caitlin Starling. Audiobook. Workplace horror? Loved it.  "Careless People" by Sarah Wynn-Williams. Hard copy, for office Data Ethics book club. The stories about Sheryl Sandberg really made me like my boss better.  LHC #296: "The Fated Sky" by Mary Robinette Kowal. Hard copy. This got moved up the list because Ed had read book 1 in the series and got the rest out of the library. Loved it. He's got the next one in the series upstairs, I suppose I'll read it when he's done.  LHC #297: "Bluegrass: A History" by Neil V. Rosenberg. Hard copy. No idea why it was on my list, I don't care that much about bluegrass. Nevertheless, the second half was interesting. I guess the first half was necessary, as it described in great length the way people came and went in Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys band, and also how technology and social pressures affect how music is made and performed.   LHC #298: ...

What I read -- October 2025

"The Moomins and the Great Flood" by Tove Jansson.  eBook. I read this because Marissa Lingen loves them. It was fine? This was the first one in the series and the only one available online; maybe the later ones are better. Maybe they're better if you read them as a child.  "The Relentless Moon" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. It took a long time to get going, and sometimes I find MRK exhausting. Her white main characters all seem oddly aware of the Black experience.  "The Martian Contingency" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  Hard copy. Read it because Ed had the whole series out of the library. I don't often read subsequent books in a series in quick succession, and my reaction to this one is a lot of why: I found Alma's voice too similar to Nicole's -- sure, Nicole obsessed about food much more, but they both went on and on about "must support black guy in management" an...

In progress - January 2026

  Wind/Water/Salt  Chapters 39-51:   Nothing  Persephone  (probably not its real name): NOthing Vinterlys:  Worked on Chapter 2 some more.  Critted  4  Got back  1 Submissions  0  Out there   0   Rejects   0 Knitting Georgia  (Norah Gaughan). Started the month with one sleeve and half a front to go. Finished. Love this sweater.  Aberlady  (AS Celtic Collection). Did a few rows while listening to podcasts.  Summer in Tokyo  (Isager): Started. I was looking at the pictures and the charts, and the pattern as written is not what is in the pictures! So odd. I am going to finish up two cones of yarn with this project! Pretty exciting. I hope I don't run out of light blue.  I was working along on it, and if you go and look at the sweater, it's knit bottom-up, and I was at the part where I only had two colors, about 5" maybe. And I was thinking, "wow, this is pretty ugly! Maybe I should stop...